Lewy bodies are abnormal protein deposits that develop in nerve cells and cause the death of neurons in the brain. This condition slowly inhibits the brain’s ability to communicate with other parts of the body. As DLB disrupts the nervous system, patients will initially experience physical symptoms such as difficulty walking, balancing, and general mobility.
Other symptoms in the early stages of DLB may include:
- Sleep disorders
- Difficulty concentrating or remembering
- Significant variation in alertness throughout the day
- Changes in the way a person walks
- Depression and apathy
- Inability to identify familiar people
- Drop in blood pressure when standing up
- Dizziness and falling
As the condition worsens, other mental symptoms of dementia will develop such as memory loss, etc. As soon as early stage symptoms show up in you or a loved one, contact Dr. Deborah Cantrell at Elite Neuroscience Center where she and her amazing staff will provide the latest treatment options and a customized approach to treat this disease.